A Window Into BIT
BIT Meeting Simulation and Training
A Window Into BIT is a video-based training tool to enhance campus BIT and student of concern team professional development. Watch national behavioral intervention team experts and campus practitioners model a BIT meeting as they role-play key team roles. The one-hour video comes with a detailed transcript, sample documentation from the meeting, and discussion questions for your team to use as a training tool to better understand how to develop and improve BIT meetings.
What does a Behavioral Intervention Team meeting actually look like? How do counseling, conduct and residential life talk together about cases? How is the NaBITA Threat Assessment Tool used in a meeting? When should an assessment be required? At what point should the SIVRA-35 or other tools be utilized? How are action plans developed? In what order are cases discussed? How is documentation handled? How are conflicts between departments resolved?
Watch how team members communicate with each other and put the NaBITA Threat Assessment Tool to use in rating over a dozen varied cases. Learn how to attend to parental notification, apply OCR guidance, the ADA and Title IX to cases. Watch how the experts model interactions designed to reduce silos while building connection between the varied departments in the simulation. Listen to the discussions around mandated assessment, how counseling works with conduct, and how the BIT chair keeps the team focused and on task. The simulation represents the following campus positions:
- Dean of Students/Director of Student Conduct (as Team Chair)
- Vice President for Student Affairs
- Director of Residential Life
- Title IX Coordinator and ADA Compliance Officer
- Faculty Advisor and Director of Academic Support Services
- Director of Counseling
- Director of Campus Safety
- Case Manager
- An act of vandalism occurs when a student pulls a fire alarm after argument with girlfriend
- A student has ongoing difficulty in several classes, poor attendance and increased drinking, with two conduct violations
- A student is hospitalized after a suicide attempt
- A fraternity is involved with racially insensitive Halloween costumes
- A sexual assault is reported to Title IX Coordinator after blackout at party
- A student threatens violence on social media platform Yik-Yak
- A student makes a threat to his professor through a comment on a test
- An intoxicated student is hospitalized after urinating in a bucket in the residence hallway
- A student attempts to hurt her roommate by switching her roommate’s contact solution with nail polish remover
- A gun is fired at an off-campus party
- A student shares his sex video without permission from his girlfriend
- A student accuses his roommate of having a racist tattoo
- A student advocates pot legalization on campus
- A male veteran student verbally harasses a female professor
- A student is singled out in class for talking to his professor about a new medication he is on for bi-polar disorder
- Odd student behavior comes off as threatening to other students in the classroom
- A suicide attempt and hospitalization follows in response to social media posts from other student’s social media posts
- W. Scott Lewis, J.D., NaBITA Past-President; Partner, The NCHERM Group, LLC
- Brett A. Sokolow, J.D., NaBITA Past-President; President & Chair, The NCHERM Group, LLC
- Aaron “Chip” Reese, Ed.D.,Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Students at Columbus State University; NaBITA Past-President
- Saundra K. Schuster, J.D., NaBITA Past-President; Partner, The NCHERM Group, LLC
- Daniel C. Swinton, J.D., Ed.D., Managing Partner, The NCHERM Group, LLC
- Brian Van Brunt, Ed.D., Senior Vice President for Professional Program Development, The NCHERM Group, LLC; Executive Director, NaBITA
- Adán Tejada, Chief & Director of Public Safety, Saint Mary’s College of California
- Marianne Price, M.S., Former Associate Vice President for Professional Program Development, The NCHERM Group, LLC
For more information about ordering A Window into BIT, please click here. Each order comes with:
- A downloadable, HD quality, high-resolution, 65-minute video that demonstrates how a BIT meeting works as it reviews over a dozen cases.
- A PDF transcript of the video.
- Discussion questions for each of the current cases to encourage conversation and debate among your campus team.
- Resources connected to each case for further reading and guidance.
- A summary sheet of each case with corresponding NaBITA tool risk level and action steps.
- BONUS: Sample BIT minutes and case entries to help demonstrate proper documentation.