Case Management Community of Practice (CM-COP)
Case managers in the higher education setting provide goal-oriented and strengths-based assessment, intervention, and coordination of services to students experiencing academic, personal, or medical difficulties in order to assist them in removing barriers to success and in increasing their holistic well-being.
Welcome to a newly organized list of resources related to case management and the BIT. NaBITA’s new community of practice for case managers is designed to be a place where higher education case managers come together to access resources, learn best practices, and engage in dialogue about the field.
The CM-COP Community of Practice is made up of four main areas:
- CM-COP Website: You are here now! This website contains free resources such as articles, whitepapers, a video describing the role of the CM on the BIT, an episode from The Inside Scoop (a podcast for higher education case managers), and much more! We will update this page as new resources become available.
- Case Management Discussion Group: Available to NaBITA members, the case management discussion group is designed to be a forum in which case managers can share resources, ideas, questions, and challenges with colleagues across the field. The discussion group will include regular contributions from NaBITA board members on practical tips, tricks, and best practices as well as a searchable database to search for messages related to a particular topic.
- Monthly podcast: Makenzie Schiemann and Jamie Molnar will host a monthly podcast focused on the hot topics in higher education case management. Check out the Podcast section below for more information about the podcast, including the first episode, So what is Case Management in Higher Education?
- Case Management Forms and Resources: We have created several forms and checklists including a Sample Intake Form, Case Management Screening Form, and Sample Outreach Protocol that you can download and customize to meet the needs of your case management programs. More information about these forms is included below.
Events | A Practical Guide to Case Management in Higher Education
Sample Forms & Templates | Case Management Podcast | Free Resources
NaBITA Products | Case Management Programs in Higher Ed | Organizations | Discussion Group
- February 27 & 28 in Brownsville, TX
Hosted by University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
- April 2 & 3, in Rochester, NY
Hosted by Monroe Community College
You know how to use the NaBITA Risk Rubric and have a plan for addressing more serious threats that come to the attention of your BIT. You’ve conducted the assessment and met with the student of concern. What happens next?
This certification course will offer BIT members clear guidance and skills when it comes to intervening with an at-risk student and managing the student after the initial assessment and intervention. Intervention and case management in higher education have been a growing area within counseling centers, behavioral intervention teams, student conduct, and student affairs. This practical, hands-on, two-day training event will review best practices and address how to effectively work with at-risk students to assist in providing better access to services and resources and improve their academic standing.
Click here to learn more information and to register for the certification course.
NaBITA is excited to announce A Practical Guide to Case Management in Higher Education. Written by Makenzie Schiemann, M.S. and Jamie Molnar, LMHC, with help from over a dozen experts, A Practical Guide to Case Management in Higher Education offers a comprehensive examination of the growing field of higher education case management. As the first ever book of its kind, this text provides the foundations for the work, defines standards of practice, and includes specific strategies case managers can utilize for a variety of student populations and concerns. A sample table of contents is available here.
Click here to purchase a PDF copy for $34.95.
The following resources are included with NaBITA membership and can be downloaded and customized for your case management programs. Each template is editable, allowing you to build from our best practice form and input your own logo, language that reflects your campus culture and resources, and questions or items unique to your program.
- Scope of Services and Privacy Template
- Intake Form and Scope of Services and Privacy Template
- Case Management Screening Form Template
- Case Management Action Plan Template
- Sample Outreach Timeline
The Inside Scoop is a monthly podcast dedicated exclusively to exploring tips, tricks, and tools for case managers in higher education. Join the hosts Makenzie Schiemann and Jamie Molnar as they explore current trends in the field, talk about their own personal experiences as case managers, and answer pertinent questions for the field.
Episode Three – “Burnout Prevention and Self-care for Case Managers”
This episode is available to all and can be found here! This episode provides explores strategies for pragmatic and structural changes that can be made within a case management program to promote staff wellbeing as well as strategies for individuals case managers to promote their own mental and emotional resiliency.
Episode Two – “So What is Higher Education Case Management”
This episode is available to all and can be found here! This episode provides a framework for understanding and defining the field as well as a discussion of the differences between clinical and non-clinical case management.
Episode One – “Why Are We Scooping this Ice Cream?”
This episode is available to all and can be found here! In this episode, Jamie and Makenzie discuss their journeys into higher education case management and discuss why they are putting out this podcast.
UPCOMING! JANUARY 31st NOON EST! Live Q &A Session with NaBITA’s case management experts! Join Makenzie and Allison in this interactive, live video session where you can chat all things case management and ask follow up questions from the first two episodes of The Inside Scoop, NaBITA’s case management podcast. If you’ve ever wanted to pick the brain of a NaBITA expert – now is your chance! To register for the video session, click here!
Future episodes drop monthly and are available to NaBITA members. Upcoming episodes include:
- A Bit About Case Management and the BIT
- Helping the Helpers Prevent Burnout
- Finding the Carrot: Motivating Students to Come In for Appointments
Case Management Articles & Whitepapers
- The 2012 NaBITA Whitepaper: Case Management in Higher Education
- A Case for Case Management article
- Student Affairs Case Management: Merging Social Work Theory With Student Affairs Practice
- Identification and Support of At-Risk Students Using a Case Management Model
- Articles on Case Management from the Journal of Campus Behavioral Intervention (J-BIT):
- An Analysis of Intake Appointment Attendance for the University of South Florida’s Office of Student Outreach and Support
- Student Affairs Professional Competency Areas as Applied to Case Management
- Using Case Management Referral Data to Develop Trainings for the Campus Community
- Summary and Analysis of Case Management in Higher Education
- Case Management’s Impact on Graduation, Retention, and Suicide at Colorado State University
- Behavioral Team Case Management of Non-traditional Aged College Students (>25)
In 2019, NaBITA launched best practice standards for Behavioral Intervention Teams. Take a moment to review the two-page executive summary, a detailed Whitepaper for BITs, and a research article that supports the creation of the standards.
Tips of the Week on Case Management
- Need to Hire a Case Manager?
- Thoughts on Case Management in Higher Education
- Helping Students After a Behavioral Health Hospitalization
- Managing Caseload
- What’s in a Name? Clinical v Non-clincial Case Managers
- Case Management Interventions: Doing with v. Doing for
- Case Management Best Practice Recommendations Part 1
- Case Management Best Practice Recommendations Part 2
Case Management Orientation Video: Take a moment to hear NaBITA board members Jamie Molnar and Lina Ladyzhenskaya talk about Case Management in an eight-minute video.
Listed below are several of the larger and more established Case Management programs in Higher Education. These are listed as a resource for those looking to network and connect with others who have established this work at various institutions across the country. Please contact Makenzie or Brian to be added to this list.
- Tulane University
- University of Utah
- University of Colorado Denver
- University of South Florida St. Petersburg
- Higher Education Case Management Association (HECMA): Formed in 2011, this group of practitioners advances the work of Case Managers in Higher Education. They offer a yearly roundtable as well as an active listserv for members.
- Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education (CAS): In 2019, CAS published Standards for Case Managers in Higher Education. This strategic planning document is useful for administrators and those looking to conceptualize the formation and operation of Case Managers in Higher Education.
To join the discussion group, listen to the podcast, and gain access to standardized case management forms, become a NaBITA member at any membership level! Click here for our membership information.
Contact us – Got a question? We’ve got an answer!
Makenize Schiemann, M.S.
Brian Van Brunt, Ed.D.
Erin Halligan-Avery, Ph.D.
David Denino, LPC, NCC
Jamie Molnar, LMHC