We are pleased to announce NABITA Mentor Match, NABITA’s new mentoring program, which is open and free to all NABITA Members. The purpose of Mentor Match is to foster leadership in the field by connecting experienced BIT professionals with newer BIT professionals.
How Does Mentor Match Work?
Mentor Match works by pairing Mentors, who are more experienced BIT professionals, with Mentees, who are less experienced professionals. Mentors will be paired either one-on-one with Mentees or with a group of Mentees. Mentees will meet with their Mentors to work toward professional goals. Please note that NABITA’s Mentor Match is not intended to be used for consulting services. Mentors are paired with Mentees to assist in developing professional skills, obtaining resources, and providing support within their BIT role. Please click here to be directed to NABITA’s parent organization, TNG, for consulting services or become a member of NABITA to join the listserv.
Both Mentors and Mentees must:
- Be a member of NABITA. Learn more about NABITA membership
- Commit to six months of programming by meeting at least once every other month
- Attend a brief, complimentary training
- Complete satisfaction surveys throughout the program
How Do I Participate?
To participate in Mentor Match, you must be a member of NABITA and fill out an application. Applications are open and free to all levels of membership in NABITA.
Once you have completed the application, you will be notified via email whether you have been selected to participate. Depending on number of applicants and fit, NABITA will match Mentors with Mentees either one-on-one or in groups.
Mentors and Mentees are chosen based on the fit available, so there is a chance that not everyone who applies will be selected. If you are not selected, you are encouraged to apply again for the next round of applications.
Mentors are more experienced in the profession and provide support to a less-experienced professional, the Mentee. Please apply now if you feel that you can give back to those just starting in the field or transitioning to a role in the field. Applications will be accepted until August 31, 2023. Program selections will be made by mid September of 2023. Applications will open again in January of 2024.Click to Apply
Mentees are those seeking to gain more professional skills within the field from a more experienced individual. Applications will be accepted until August 31, 2023. Program selections will be made by mid September of 2023. Applications will open again in January of 2024.Click to Apply
What are the Benefits of Participating?
- Opportunity to nurture new talent and potential new hires
- Develop leadership, communication, and other soft skills
- Raise your self-esteem and get fulfillment from giving back to the profession
- Networking opportunities with other BIT professionals
- $99 promo code that can be used on NABITA products, trainings, and events
- Earn a mentor badge to display via LinkedIn and email
- Add program participation to your resume
- Ensure the field of behavioral intervetion continues to deepen and grow through experienced professionals
- Support in navigating and advancing one’s career
- Gain wisdom and perspective from a more experienced professional
- Get help setting and achieving professional goals
- Opportunity for skill development and new knowledge
- Network with other BIT professionals
- Earn a Mentee badge to display via LinkedIn and email
When will I hear back if I am matched?
You can expect to hear back by September 15, 2023. You will receive a notification as well if you have not been selected for this cycle.
What if I do not get along with whom I am matched?
We encourage you to communicate first with your match on what might be bothering you. If the issue cannot be resolved, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can learn more about the issue. If the issue cannot be resolved, we will work with both parties to end the match.
What if I get accepted but cannot continue for the 6-month period?
If you cannot commit to the time frame, please reach out to email@example.com to let NABITA know immediately. Your match will be paired with another person. You should consider re-applying when your schedule allows for more time.
Why do I need to be a member of NABITA to be considered for this program?
NABITA membership allows access to a broad network of BIT professionals and resources. Mentor Match is another avenue within membership that allows members to connect more personally and assist each other professionally. Those who wish to access these networks to develop within the field might consider NABITA membership.
How do I determine if I can be considered an appropriate Mentor?
Mentors should feel at a point in their profession that their guidance would assist a Mentee or group of Mentees.